Pages

6/19/2014

The next phase

2 under 2 was a HARD phase. 

2 babies. No sleep, baggy eyes, and a lot of little people who could not communicate. Yet... it also had its blessings.  Only 1 of my tiny people was mobile, naps came often, and cuddles were abundant. Not to mention the whispy baby hair and abundant thigh rolls!


Next up was 1 under 1 and 1 over 2 . 

That phase was great. It was full of so many sweet first! There was still 1 mobile child, but now- she could follow directions! Better yet, she could be distracted for 30 minutes while her sister was in one of our many 'baby-holding" devices (because hallelujah-she could/would finally sit in them!). That left me with time to shower, or clean, or cook...the possibilities were endless. 


And then...then there came 2 over 1.  

We have now entered the 1 toddler and 1 preschooler phase.  Lord help me, give me patience and please don't let my hair all turn gray. The toddler can now climb...and she loves to get into everything (dirt and trash are her favorite toys).  And the preschooler now has the attention span of a goldfish (thank you internet for alerting me that goldfish have an attention span of 3 seconds), and is stubborn and independent to boot.  We have hit the "we can never eat dinner in public again phase." (So sorry to every mom I ever judged about being in that place).



Today, I remind myself that in the midst of 2 under 2, I could not wait for the next phase. I thought to myself, "Maybe having 1 over the age of 2 would be easier, maybe I would feel like less of a crazy lady, maybe, maybe, maybe."  In reality,  I looked back and saw the good, the joy, the blessings. I ached for days gone to fast, and babies who grew up in the blink of an eye. 

This phase is not just a phase of climbing, of messes, and of learning to assert independence. It is a phase of learning to use their bodies, of the blessing of health, of babies discovering their senses, and of being able to shower our girls in grace, of praying for their souls, and of showing them the love of the Lord as they learn to make their own decisions.


This phase will be full of beautiful memories. Memories of eating dirt, of starting to have conversations and laugh together, and of personalities blooming.  Memories of watching the joy that comes from our girls accomplishments, and memories of lots of family picnics at home ;)


I don't write this post to complain, or to wish away days.  I don't write this to frighten the daylights of any mamas coming behind me.  I write this because somedays, it helps to get all of the crazy out there, and have a fresh start. To remember to cherish these days, to savor them and to be grateful for them. And to remind myself that I don't have to have it all together as a mama, because my Jesus does.

No comments:

Post a Comment